Sunday 19 June 2011

The perfect antenna for Wilderness operations.

It is cold, wet and windy here in Melkbosstrand this morning with no reason to go play outside, a perfect occasion to take stock of what I have and what I need :

Antennas: Wilderness radio antennas must be reliable, robust, efficient, highly portable, multiband, resonant (no tuner) and have a good bandwidth over the required frequency range. To satisfy these requirements I am continuously modifying, building and testing various configurations under different weather conditions and locations.
 My choice arsenal at the moment consists  of a four band (10, 15, 20 & 40m) linked dipole in an inverted "V" configuration; a telescopic vertical for 15 & 20m for dx (this also serves as the centre support (5m) for the inverted "V") and a "J-brid" (a hybrid stub matched endfed halfwave) for 40m. With this collection I am confident I can operate from any location under most wx conditions. I do carry a small Elecraft T1 tuner just in case !
I will post some pics soon.
This bunch of antennas is relatively light weight and packs nice and compact in my backpack.

No comments: