Friday 22 July 2011

Kites......as a "sky hook"


 I use a Delta Sled single line kite that was initially put into service as a "sky hook" for supporting various antennas and soon discovered that it makes a very good platform for aerial photography !

My  'GoPro HD' camera hanging in a diy 'Picavet' which keeps the camera horizontal and very stable.

(Click on any pic for a larger image.)



These two pics ( a residential building site and the Koeberg Conference and Sports Centre) were taken with the above rig hanging approximately 60m above them.
(Click on any pic for a larger image.)

2 comments:

Pierre said...

Great stuff !!

Flying a kite antenna is on my to-do-list. I had a 2 way QRP QSO with Dean ZD8DC on Ascension Island; he was using a kite antenna.

I recon an EFHWA antenna should work real well?

73, Pierre ZS6A

Allen said...

I agree Pierre, one of my better antennas is a stub matched EFHA on 40m. It is about 22m long and does not need radials or any other matching unit.
Just be careful of static, especially in the dry highveld winters ! I have a 2meg ohm bleed resistor network that I sometime use.